Thursday 6 October 2011

Private life in limelight

The Aung Sang Suu Kyi in the limelight for many years, and it continues this way. While one knows much about her political conflicts, does not know hardly anything about her personal life, especially as it was very conservative on this issue.

New documentary, "Aung Sang Suu Kyi - a woman did not fear" is to create waves at festivals around the world, because it sheds light on the life of the leader of Myanmar's own, especially her husband, the late British, Dr. Michael Aris, whom she met and married when he was studying at the University of Oxford. Aris died of cancer when she was under house arrest.

Not much is known of the important role he played in her life and work, and this new documentary film (which will be displayed at the Festival of Mumbai), made after three years of careful research by the Danish documentary filmmaker Anne Gyrithe Bonn, has some movement of revelation.

Excerpts from an interview with the Director, in Bangkok:

Why, the Danish director, and choose to make a film on freedom fighter in Myanmar (formerly Burma)?

I have always been interested in people who are living on the edge and paid a heavy price for it. And my last documentary, "the will to live," and killed during the fateful events of September 11 and I got involved with issues of love, hatred and reconciliation. Can be connected to the same questions with Aung Sang and this is why I decided to make a film on her.

Why did you choose to focus on her personal life?

I wanted to go below the surface. I wanted to compare them with those women, who also fought for their identity, in the way the individual.

It was your research and large-scale?

It took me three years to get the money, and before I begin my research and vast scope. I went to Washington and New York, London and Cambridge and Oxford, as well as Bangkok and Myanmar, Mae Sot (in Thailand).

We contacted various countries of the images and scenes from the movie. I soon discovered that was not the most important event on the Nobel Prize, which everyone knows about, but the Sakharov Prize.

How to get in touch with her family, who lived in the UK?

Was not easy. For a long time talking on the phone with a mutual friend of two Danish. In 2008, I met and Sindh Phillips, sister of Michael. They spoke of their grief when Michael died, and how she and her husband had to care for children of usw. She told me that he was not allowed to talk to a family, as Sue did not want her private life to be announced.

I did not pay, but slowly, and gave me more information and more, which helped me to create this film. Given this information, because none of them has any news about Suu Kyi, who was under house arrest, and they want this film to draw attention to them.

Do you know about the important role played by Dr. Michael Aris in Suu Kyi's life and work?

I did not know at all. That was when I received the footage of the Sakharov Prize, which I realized what a man who was outstanding! Michael knew a lot about Buddhism, which probably kept him strong. He lived the life of ordinary couple Sue in Oxford, with a focus on his academic career, and being a perfect home maker. Things have changed completely, and when she left to Myanmar to care for her sick mother, never to return. He said that to bring up his children alone. But even then, Michael has become quite involved with the issue of his wife. He worked a lot for her, he met many important people, and spoke on her behalf.

Did you meet her children?

Respect I mentioned before, the family did not pay more than necessary. So, I never met the children. But he said to me, Lucinda for their suffering, and most of all they were worried about the health of the mother and the life.

No French director Luc Besson to see the movie before it starts to work on his new novel, sang "Lady," according to Aung San Suu Kyi?

I met the writer his manuscript, and participated in the film's producer, who likes all of the documentary and I was surprised too because I got too much on archival material, Michael. Sent a copy of it to Luc Besson and his wife, and I heard that he loves so much.

Is there any change to the end of the film, when released Aung Sang Suu Kyi?

Yes, the original film ended with a speech at the funeral of her son's obituary and his father, who was very influential. But Aung Sang when it was the film in Berlin, "Cinema for Peace" Festival, suddenly released Suu Kyi. Also, included footage of the joyful return to her home along with a crowd of Myanmar and this is the end of the new film.

Is met with Aung Sang Suu Kyi?

And number, but I would love to meet her, and not for an interview, just to talk. However, I am willing to wait, so they are fully reconciled with its past.

Do you know if she has seen your film?

Also, the Sindh and Michael Anthony and her twin brother of the film, and conducted interviews with various journalists have, and when the film has been screened in Berlin and The Hague. But did not comment on it. I think it would be to break her heart to see the work done by her husband in the film.

How is this test for in India?

It is special because Sue went to college in India (Lady Shri Ram College, New Delhi). Her mother was a diplomat in India, and this is why Sue stayed and studied there.

As a woman, are you inspired by Aung Sang?

Have the strength and courage and discipline are the great qualities of women and that, in particular, inspired me when I was alone in Myanmar. I have had many personal tragedies in my own life. I'm not sure if I'm as strong as her, but I learned to be positive every day.

This will be an inspiring film for women?

I think that the film will be inspiring to people, because I choose to describe it like a normal person, with faith and concern, and to fight for its own identity. I wanted people to see that much can be achieved through faith and belief in themselves in the case, which is larger than themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan